I remember sitting in the most ornate restaurant in China and waiting nervously for our meal to come. Our group were dining as guests for some charity work we had done in a small village in Chifeng (4.3 million population). I was a little unsure because all the courses had been chosen for us.
Everything we ate that night was DIVINE. One of the first courses they put in front of us was Lettuce Wraps. They used more a butter lettuce for the shells but I personally love the crunch of iceberg on romaine.
A couple of years ago, I was pregnant with my daughter and I craved these. Since the nearest gourmet Chinese restaurant is two hours away, we came up with our own recipe that is clean and super YUMMY.
Gluten Free Lettuce Wraps
- Stainless Steel Pan or Cast Iron Skillet
- 2.5-3 lbs. Ground Turkey
- 2 heads Iceberg or Romaine Lettuce
- 1 pkg Mushrooms chopped
- 4 Tbsp Honey
- 3 Tbsp Gluten Free Hoisin Sauce
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves (per pound of poultry)
- 2-3 Tbsp Ginger
- 6 Tbsp. Coconut Aminos
- 2 Tbsp. Sesame Seed Oil
- 1.5 Tbsp Sriracha
- 1 cup Chopped Water Chesnuts
- Sesame Seeds for garnish
- Red Paper Flakes for garnish
- In a bowl add all the ingredients for sauce and mix well.
- In a pan, add sesame oil. When the pan is hot add: ginger, garlic, mushrooms and water chestnuts (optional) and stir until soft.
- Add ground turkey and chicken and stir until cooked thoroughly.
- Add the sauce and mix well.
- Chop the lettuce vertically so it forms lettuce cups. Arrange them and fill each leaf with the turkey/chicken filling. Sprinkle Sesame Seeds or Red Pepper Flakes if desired. Roll and serve immediately.